Friday, January 25, 2008

Names

This has been on my mind lately due to some recent encounters. So when you name your child, for us it was a huge responsiblity. For our kids we wanted something unique, nothing mainstream or any name that was popular. We searched baby books, looked at top 100 lists to make sure the names we were picking weren't on there. That's just us. So we come across the name Adelaide. We loved it but we thought we'd modernize it a little and call her Adelynn. Ok we totally thought we were making it up. We didn't even realize how close it was to Madelynn or Madison. So come to find out these days that the name Adelynn is on the top 100 list. OK, so let's just say how frustrated that makes me. I even thought the other day that we should rename her (just a passing thought). We also find out that along with the girl she was a flower girl with, who is the same age, who's name is Adelynn, that one of Dwayne's old mission companions has a girl and they named her Adelynn (he hasn't talked to him since his mission). FRUSTRAING. And get this, so one of the boy names that I really like is Colby or Kolby (either spelling) and they just had a little boy and guess what they named him, you got it. I guess I'm glad it wasn't Nolan because that would be too freaky.
Is my frustration with this unreasonable???? What am I to do. I decided that I would name my next girl Gertrude, I don't think anyone would use that, do you???? :)
Just doing a little venting. Anyone else feeling the same way????
I guess it's not the name but what our kids make of it and how they define themselves, and the place they make in the World, setting themselves apart from everyone else that counts......... but it's still frustrating!

10 comments:

Angela said...

That's interesting! I have yet to hear of anyone else named Adelyn! And as for Nolan, just our friends' son's middle name. Go with Bromhilda next, that one's GREAT! :)

Angela said...

Wait wait! or Benoni for a boy. It's in the family! Greg tried for that one, or King. LOL.

Kymi said...

HI Camille!!! I see you have me on your list already. Why you didn't let me know you were here I will never know! I finally got to see pictures of your beautiful babies! Good job! Let me know how things are going? Miss you girlie! I was just thinking about you and your talking in your sleep, do you still do that? Can't wait to hear from you.

Tia said...

Yeah camille hello could you post on kymi's blog! I think your safe with Gertrude or Bromhilda.

Anonymous said...

Hooray! You found me! I still sometimes tell people about your sleeping habits and that LOUD alarm clock...I love your kids! They are a nice mixture of you and Dwayne. Good to see that you stuck it out in Flagstaff! Oh yeah, and the names: We're the same way. That's how we got Keane. But people always ask me how to spell it and they don't usually like it at first. But he's cute and he fits it, so oh well!

Mauzy Fam said...

Camille!! Glad I found you. But it looks like you already found me. So glad you have a blog. As for the names, I like ours simple so they don't deal with people saying what? or how do you spell that? However, I don't want everyone else in the world to have them either. I like Penelope! Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

My sister was talking about the same thing after her daghter adn then a few years later after her son. She had a Kinley and a few months later a friend named her daughter that. Then she named her son Rigdeon and my friend decided to name her kid that too. It frustrated her for a while, but what can ya do? I am glad you finally have a blog. I am adding you as a link okay! Oh and I work with a girl named Adelyn at school.

Leah said...

I think both your kids' names are unique and very cute. I've heard other stories about name-stealing; these are the people who just can't think of names themselves.

Kymi said...

Guess what Camille, Tag-Your it!!! Go read my blog, this will give you something to post about! I want to hear more from Camille, I think I have said this before?

debsfreckles said...

I hear ya! And I am reading your blog now.